Popular Posts

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Don Jazzy told me he didn’t want Mo’Hits again —D’banj

For the first time in four years, Kokomaster, D’banj, has opened up on what led to the break up of the defunct record label, Mo Hits. D’banj said though the break up of the group which had Don Jazzy, Dr Sid, D’ Prince and Wande Coal in 2012 could have been prevented, it was meant to take him to the next level, which God had destined for him.
The Emergency crooner who insisted that there has not been any other solid record label since Mo’Hits went under, revealed that it was God’s will that the group should split in order to allow the members rediscover themselves for greater value.
D’banj stated this on Thursday at the maiden edition of OSMD Network Youth Empowerment Summit, held at Maurve 21, Ring Road, Ibadan, Oyo State, where he was one of the panelists.
According to him, the decision to go solo was not easy, but it has paid off for him in the long run with God being his backbone. “A lot of people don’t know me. They know D’banj. They don’t Dapo Daniel. When Mo’Hits broke up, I went back to God and asked him for direction. The only thing I had with me then was my content. It was not an easy decision, but I am happy that I have stepped into the big scene and things have worked out perfectly for me.”
He stated further that his greatest joy as a musician is that he has now become a brand of visible hope that younger generation can make reference to unlike when some years back when no parents would allow their children aspire to become hip hop singers.
He later revealed that it was Don Jazzy who came to him to announce that he didn’t want Mo’Hits again. “Yes, Don Jazzy told me that he didn’t want to be part of the Mo’hits again. I had to sit back and ask myself what next after Mo’Hits. I had to go back to God who brought me to that level and asked him if my time was up in music. God did reveal to me that day that he was taking me to another level that is bigger than singing and performing. He opened up my eyes to see the business side of music.”
D’banj who now runs a digital music distribution company with over 100,000 subscribers across the country revealed that he had to go back to the basics to rediscover himself.” You have to be real as a musician. You can’t let anybody decide for you what you want. I have always known what I wanted. Even before anybody knew who D’banj was, I had decided that I was not going to be like anybody and that’s why I have lasted till this time, because I have my contents. Nobody can take that away from me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment